- The MRes Advanced Chemical Sciences programme provides you with the education and training needed to understand different aspects of the field of chemical sciences.
The programme covers a range of topics, from synthetic chemistry to nanotechnology, to analytical methods and instrumentation. Strong emphasis is placed on developing project management and professional skills. After completing taught modules, you will conduct a 12-month extensive research project of your choice that leads to submission of a dissertation.
Your studies will guided by a customised learning plan, taking into account your background, interests and career aspirations.
Why should I study Advanced Chemical Sciences at XJTLU?
- Learn from international staff, who are experts in various fields of chemistry with strong links to local and international industries
- Benefit from XJTLU's strategic location near many biotechnology companies in BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with more than 400 companies with the opportunity for internships
- Enjoy prestigious scientific symposia, conferences and summer schools at the nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia, giving you the chance to interact with world-famous researchers
- Gain an excellent foundation for pursuing PhD programmes both in China or abroad
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MRes Advanced Chemical Sciences, you will have:
- career-enhancing personal and employability skills such as time management, report writing, team-building, networking and project management
- a range of critical interdisciplinary research skills
- a strong understanding of the theoretical background and practical implementation of an intensive research project.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to obtain your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for careers in a variety of industries, including chemical and material science, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, food and beverages (quality assurance and new formulation), and analytical laboratories.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in chemistry or a related discipline.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
Our MRes offers you the chance to complete an extended cutting edge research project with our internationally educated and trained staff, using state of the art equipmentMagdalini Matziari Programme Director
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to email@example.com(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.