This dynamic, contemporary and innovative programme prepares you for management positions across a wide range of industries. It is also designed to assist current managers in preparation for more senior roles.
Open to those with an undergraduate degree in any discipline, the MSc Management programme offers you broad theoretical and practical knowledge of management. The modules cover many topics of relevance in China and internationally, including international business, strategy, finance, leadership, marketing and entrepreneurship. You will also complete a research project or dissertation on a management-related topic of your choice.
The programme is delivered in the International Business School Suzhou (IBSS), one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS). Less than 100 business schools worldwide have both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation.
Why should I study Management at XJTLU?
- Benefit from XJTLU's strategic location in Suzhou - home to one of the China's largest economies and many Fortune 500 companies
- Get support from IBSS's career development team who engage with national and multinational employers to identify the potential job opportunities for our students and graduates
- Tailor your studies to suit your career ambitions with elective modules in entrepreneurship, big data and people management available
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Management, you will have:
- a rich understanding of management practices and theories
- insights into how to conduct a broad range of managerial functions and tasks
- an awareness of the demands of management in business
- research skills through project and dissertation work
- industry experience through work experience or networking events
The professors from different intercultural and interdisciplinary roots gave us insight into their experience and taught us to critically reflect.Juliet Ampah Alumna, MSc Management, Ghana
Additional learning activity
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The additional learning activities on MSc Management include:
- Introduction to research methods
- Personal and employability skills
- Operations modelling and simulation
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese language
- Graduate teaching assistantship
- Graduate research assistantship
- Independent study with an IBSS Tutor
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- Writing of scholarly research paper
- Presentation of Scholarly Research Paper
- Thomson One Certificate achievement
- EIKON Certificate achievement
- Datastream Certificate achievement
- Professional software skills
- Volunteer work for University and school projects and events
- In-company project
- Field trip/company visit
- Career development activities
- Graduate work placement
- SAP TERP10 Certificate achievement
This programme includes career skills and personal development support to assist you with career evaluation, job searches, and professional skills development, such as:
- consultations with our career development team
- guidance on job search techniques
- coaching in writing cover letters and CVs as well as interview skills
- building and assessing soft competencies like working in teams, communication and presentation skills
- assistance in employment and work permit issues.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in any discipline.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
Roberto Donà is a Professor of Practice in Management at IBSS, the business school of Xi’An Jiaotong Liverpool University in Suzhou, since 2013. He is also an Honorary Professor at the School of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Chinese Academy of Science, and an Adjunct Professor at MIP Politecnico di Milano Graduate School of Business.
Roberto has a strong international exposure having worked in Russia, Bulgaria, Argentina, USA and China. His fields of interested are on Internationalization and Innovation Processes in Asia and their managerial implications.He is also the First President of the Association of the Italian Scholars in China (AAIIC).Roberto Donà, Professor of Practice Programme director
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.