- Sustainable Energy and Environment
- Nuclear Energy Technology
- Power System Network and Smart Grid
- Integration of Energy Strategies in the Design of Buildings
- Photovoltaic Energy Technology
- Renewable Kinetic Energy Technologies
- Power Electronics and Applications for Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Urban Planning Strategies
- MSc Project
Designed in response to a growing skills shortage of engineers with a high level of training in renewable energy, smart grids and sustainability, the MSc Sustainable Energy Technology programme provides you with an advanced education in the fields of sustainable energy generation, distribution and consumption.
You will gain a thorough understanding of sustainability standards, various renewable energies, smart grid and power electronics for renewable energy and energy use management in buildings, urban design and other areas.
You will graduate ready to forge a successful career in sustainable energy technology, where recent developments have led to many job opportunities opening up in industry, government institutions and research centres.
Why Should I Study at XJTLU?
- Study in world-class facilities including a power electronics laboratory equipped with advanced experimental equipment, a sustainable energy laboratory equipped with a 600W wind turbine, two 270W solar modules, batteries, an inverter with sinusoidal output and main controller and an electric machine and power system laboratory
- Engage in cutting-edge research areas such as the intelligent and efficient utilisation of solar, wind energy and other renewable energy sources
- Benefit with the University's close links with international universities, research centres and industry
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Sustainable Energy Technology, you will have:
- hands-on experience working with advanced experimental equipment including a network analyser, power analyser, Dspace controller, wind turbine and PV testing system
- knowledge of the latest sustainability energy technology and strategies and how to apply them in a practical context
- the ability to work in complex professional environments and find innovative solutions for technical problems.
My way of thinking about renewable energy has been enhanced, allowing me to understand major challenges we are facing to live in a sustainable environment.Hengyang Lou Alumnus, MSc Sustainable Energy Technology, China
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for positions such as electric power system engineer, electric power system consultant, electric power projects manager, and sustainable cities and building design consultant. Graduates may go on to work with industry and government to implement sustainable energy technologies within existing or new systems, and model and evaluate of their impact on ecosystems, economics and society.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field such as electrical engineering, electronic science and technology, telecommunication engineering, computer science and technology, mathematics, semiconductor physics, automation and control, embedded systems, engineering thermal physics or other related disciplines.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.