Currently the tuition fee payable by full-time students on postgraduate research programmes is RMB 80,000 per year. It normally takes three years to complete a full-time PhD programme.
The Department of Architecture welcomes proposals for its research-based PhD programme. Potential candidates are invited to position their PhD research proposals on one or more of the Department’s areas of strength, which include:
- Architectural design and architectural studio education
- Architectural, environmental or construction technology
- Computer-aided architectural design
- Architectural history and built heritage studies
- Social and cultural study of the built environment.
Our PhD programme is a strategic research collaboration between XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, based at XJTLU. Upon successful completion of your programme you will receive a degree from the University of Liverpool, which is recognised by the UK’s Department of Education as well as China’s Ministry of Education.
The normal length of full-time PhD programme is three years. At the end of three years’ full-time study, you can apply for an extension of one year to complete the writing of your dissertation. Part-time PhD degrees usually take four to seven years.
As a registered full-time PhD student, you have the opportunity to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months. Your accommodation and travel fees will be covered by XJTLU and the University of Liverpool.
Full-time PhD students are funded to attend local and international conferences during their studies, with a budget of up to RMB 16,500.
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- Our PhD programme equips you with a range of professional skills to help you maximise your future employability
- Our supervisors will guide you through one of the most intellectually satisfying experiences of your life
- Supervision from respected academics at both XJTLU and the University of Liverpool
- PhD students have dedicated travel budgets for participating in international conferences
- The chance to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months
- Opportunities to work as a teaching assistant and develop crucial academic skills.
Please check the FAQ for further information about studying for a PhD at XJTLU.
Read about our ongoing PhD projects.
For part-time students, tuition fee payable is RMB 60,000 per year. Part-time PhD study is typically completed in four to seven years.
Fees are waived for students who are awarded an XJTLU PhD scholarship.
1) Apply for a scholarship for a funded PhD project
You can apply for an existing PhD project which has received funds from the university or external funding bodies. These projects have an established research topic and supervisory team.
These projects do not have a specific application deadline and are open until the position is filled. The start date of a PhD programme is normally the first day of March, June, September, or December. The Department has the following funded PhD projects available (this list is regularly updated):
|Title of PhD project||Reference number||Status||Supervisor|
|A Parametric Form Language for Fibre Reinforced Concrete Prefabricated Elements Using 3D Printed Formwork||RDF-17-01-26||Open||Dr. Christiane M. Herr Christiane.Herr@xjtlu.edu.cn|
|Large-scale rapid energy modelling of buildings
||RDF-17-01-40||Open||Dr Marco Cimillo
2) Scholarships available in Business, Humanity and Social Sciences, and Design clusters
Additional scholarships are also available to candidates who wish to pursue a research degree at the Department of Architecture in the following areas:
- History, theory and heritage; computational design and fabrication; urban ecologies
There will be two application rounds for each academic year:
First round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 October will be reviewed in the first round and the decision will be announced in December.
Second round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 April will be reviewed in the second round and the decision will be announced in June.
Go to https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study-with-us/admissions/scholarships and scroll down to the bottom to find more information about how to apply for the scholarships.
We accept a wide variety of academic qualifications for entry onto our PhD programme. Please see our entry requirements for additional information.
How to apply
All applications for a PhD programme should start with you emailing potential supervisors about either a specific funded project or about your idea for a self-funded project.
They can help you with the next stages of the application process and you can also find out more information on our how to apply section.