Currently the tuition fee payable by full-time students on postgraduate research programmes is RMB 80,000 per year. It normally takes three years to complete a full-time PhD programme.
The PhD programme in International Business School Suzhou prepares students to become academic scholars or to embark on other research related careers in education, industry, government or international organisations. You will specialise in specific areas of economics (including financial economics) or management.
The economics PhD has a number of sub-specialisations including (but not limited to):
- Financial economics
- International trade and finance
- Public finance
- The Chinese economy
- Game theory
The management PhD has a number of sub-specialisations including (but not limited to):
- General management
- Human resource management
- International business
- Information management
- Operations and supply chain management
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- Our PhD programme equips you with a range of professional skills to help you maximise your future employability
- Our supervisors will guide you through one of the most intellectually satisfying experiences of your life
- Supervision from respected academics at both XJTLU and the University of Liverpool
- PhD students have dedicated travel budgets for participating in international conferences
- The chance to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months
- Opportunities to work as a teaching assistant and develop crucial academic skills.
Please check the FAQ for further information about studying for a PhD at XJTLU.
For part-time students, tuition fee payable is RMB 60,000 per year. Part-time PhD study is typically completed in four to seven years.
Fees are waived for students who are awarded an XJTLU PhD scholarship.
1) Apply for a scholarship for a funded PhD project
You can apply for an existing PhD project which has received funds from the university or external funding bodies. These projects have an established research topic and supervisory team.
These projects do not have a specific application deadline and are open until the position is filled. The start date of a PhD programme is normally the first day of March, June, September, or December. The Department has the following funded PhD projects available (this list is regularly updated):
|Title of PhD project||Reference number||Status||Supervisor|
|Optimization for Returnable Packaging Business (可循环包装商业模式中的优化问题)||PGRS1819-1-027||Open||Associate Professor George Liu
2) Scholarships available in Business, Humanity and Social Sciences, and Design clusters
Additional scholarships are also available to candidates who wish to pursue a research degree at the Department of International Business School Suzhou in the following areas:
- Economics: Behavioural and experimental economics, mathematical economics, labour economics, political economy, energy economics, macroeconomics and finance, economic development, regional economics, urban economics, health economics, economic sociology, tourism economics
- Accounting and Finance: Financial Technology, Big data analytics for accounting and finance, Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, Corporate Governance and Managerial Control, Corporate Finance, Asset Pricing, Market Microstructure, Derivatives and Commodity Markets, Financial Economics, Financial Econometrics, International Finance
- Management: Operations and Supply Chain, Strategy and Optimisation, Marketing and Communication, International Business and Strategy, Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management, Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour, Management information systems, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability
There will be two application rounds for each academic year:
First round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 October will be reviewed in the first round and the decision will be announced in December.
Second round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 April will be reviewed in the second round and the decision will be announced in June.
Go to https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study-with-us/admissions/scholarships and scroll down to the bottom to find more information about how to apply for the scholarships.
We accept a wide variety of academic qualifications for entry onto our PhD programme. Please see our entry requirements for additional information.
How to apply
All applications for a PhD programme should start with you emailing potential supervisors about either a specific funded project or about your idea for a self-funded project.
They can help you with the next stages of the application process and you can also find out more information on our how to apply section.