UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
The BEng Architectural Engineering programme is designed to produce architectural engineers with strong problem-solving skills and a comprehensive understanding of the multidisciplinary aspects of building.
The principles and precision of civil, structural, and building services engineering and the creativity of architecture are combined to give you a well-rounded education with excellent career prospects.
The programme prepares you for working with sound professional judgement in multidisciplinary teams through the study of a range of modules in both the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Architecture.
Upon graduation you will have fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) in the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) in the United Kingdom, and partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Why should I study Architectural Engineering at XJTLU?
- Graduate from a programme accredited by Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) in the United Kingdom, enabling you to become a world-recognised chartered engineer
- Gain hands-on experience through site visits, field work, workshops led by industry professionals, lab experiments, and the use of computer analysis software and the latest technologies
- Explore the form and appearance of buildings, their environmental, social, and economic impact, as well as their design and construction within business and commercial context
- Learn from international academic staff who will provide you with an outstanding learning experience and opportunities to work on current research projects and papers
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
BEng (Hons) Accredited CEng (Partial)
This degree is accredited as:
1. fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
2. partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
See www.jbm.org.uk for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng.
Knowledge and skills
Upon graduation from the BEng Architectural Engineering, you will have:
- a sound knowledge of architectural studies, building services engineering, construction project management and cost estimation, building information modelling, and the core areas of civil engineering including structures, hydraulics, geotechnics and materials
- problem-solving skills with the ability to apply a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques in resolving architectural engineering problems
- practical knowledge of the key aspects of civil engineering and architectural design practices
- completed a building design and construction project that combines professional elements of both civil engineering and architecture
an understanding of the principles of project management, including allocating project resources effectively and how to apply modern construction practices to real-world situations.
You will take fundamental modules that are essential for all civil and architectural engineers and for higher level studies: mathematics, basic structures, materials, fluids, surveying, and management. In addition, three modules from the department of Architecture are integrated to introduce students to the basics of architectural design.
Year three will enhance your knowledge in building design and construction projects. You will be offered modules related to structural analysis and design, construction materials and methods, soil mechanics, and project management. In addition, aspects of buildings that are specific to architectural engineers will be taught: building topology and building services engineering.
- Construction Methods
- Engineering Structures
- Reinforced Concrete and Steelwork
- Building Typology in Integrated Architectural Design
- Numerical Methods
- Building Services Engineering
- Architectural Engineering Project
- Civil Engineering Project Management
- Basic Soil Mechanics
- Construction Materials
- Structural Behaviour and Modelling.
In the final year, you will learn more about advanced analysis and design related theory together with real world practical examples. You will be offered modules related to structural design on steel, timber and masonry, foundations, earthquakes, and construction management. The capstone design project will guide you to design a large scale structure. More subjects related to architectural engineering will be introduced, such as cost control and estimation, and building information modelling (BIM). In addition, you will undertake an individual research project of an investigative nature across two semesters of year four.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for roles such as structural engineer, project manager, consulting engineer, Builging Information Modelling (BIM) engineer, cost estimator, and building envelope designer in the construction and consultancy sectors.
The programme also provides a sound basis for further study or a research career in architecture, civil and structural engineering, construction management and engineering or related fields. Most of our graduates go on to study at the world's top universities in countries such as the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands.
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All international students who accept their offer by 1 May 2020 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Join a free Chinese language course
We now offer a free summer Chinese language course for all undergraduate and postgraduate students starting their degree in September 2020.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who accept their offer by 1 May 2020 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who apply to XJTLU through the Joint Entrance Examination on the governmental online application system (Education Examination Authority of Guangdong Province) will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Mainland Chinese students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
A project to build cardboard bridges taught us about users’ needs and interests, which will affect how we approach our work as architectural engineers. We came to fully understand, for the first time, that in our future careers what our clients need will be a frequently asked question.Zhaohui Yang Student, BEng Architectural Engineering, China
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.